Let the Summer Fun Begin
- August 7, 2019
- Walter Portier
- Georgia, insurance, insurance agent, Ocilla, safety, The Portier Agency
Let the Summer Fun Begin
To many of us, Memorial Day is the official start of summer fun.
It’s a time to remember the people who gave so much for our country, a time to be with family and friends and a time to take a break and have some fun.
Whatever your plans are for this Memorial Day and beyond, here are a few tips to keep your adventures as safe as they are fun.
SWIMMING SAFETY TIPS
- Watch kids when they are in or around water, without being distracted. A Water Watcher card can help designate a responsible adult to keep an eye on kids in the water at all times.
- Teach children to swim with an adult. Older, more experienced swimmers should still swim with a partner every time.
- Swimming aids such as water wings or noodles are fun toys for kids, but are not appropriate to be used as a personal floatation device (PFD). Be sure to use a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket or PFD for your kids.
- Teach children that swimming in open water is NOT the same as swimming in a pool. They need to be aware of uneven surfaces, river currents, ocean undertow and changing weather. See more open water safety tips.
GRILLING SAFETY TIPS
- Position the grill well away from foot traffic and play areas. Areas along siding, deck railings, out from under eaves and overhanging branches could also be potentially dangerous.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area by declaring a three-foot “kid-free zone” around the grill.
- Keep all matches and lighters away from children. Teach your children to report any loose matches or lighters to an adult immediately.
SUMMER TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS
- Buckling up on every ride is the single most important thing a family can do to stay safe in the car.
- Seventy-three percent of car seats are not used or installed correctly, so before you hit the road, check your car seat. Here’s a quick car seat checklist to help you out.
- Use a booster seat with the vehicle lap AND shoulder safety belts until your child passes the Safety Belt Fit Test.
- Heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash, vehicle-related deaths for children. Never leave your child alone in a car, not even for a minute.
STAYING SAFE OUTDOORS
- Make sure your children have the appropriate clothing and gear. Camps will often send a required packing list. Follow it. The right gear will help[…]
# # #
Continue reading this article.
Don’t forget, The Portier Agency offers:
homeowner/mobile home/ renter’s /automobile / motorcycle / life / commercial / crop insurance.
Call or come by to get your quote!
The Portier Agency, LLC
113 North Irwin Avenue
Ocilla, GA 31774
How driving on empty affects your car Running out of gas is something you don’t…
Dewinterizing Your Boat: 12 Steps for Your Spring Boat Inspection Spring is almost here! I…