Do I Need Extra Insurance for My Drone?

Do I Need Extra Insurance for My Drone?

Before your drone takes to the sky, see if your insurer will cover any damages the unmanned aircraft may cause to others or their property.

QI plan to buy a drone soon. Will my insurance cover any damages it might cause?

ADamages caused by drones may be covered by the liability portion of your homeowners or renters’ insurance policy, but the details vary by insurer. “Some homeowners policies cover ‘model or hobby’ aircraft; others cover only model aircraft, and others exclude any aircraft,” says Bill Wilson, an insurance educator who runs the blog.

Contact your insurance agent or company to find out whether your drone is covered and if there are any requirements or restrictions. You usually have to register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration. (It costs $5 to register drones that weigh from 0.55 pounds to 55 pounds with the FAA for three years; see FAADroneZone.) The policy may cover hobby use of the drone, but not commercial use by a business. For example, if you’re being paid to take pictures with the drone, ask your insurer whether you need to get special coverage.

If your drone damages your own car, it would be covered by the comprehensive coverage on your car insurance. And it may be covered by the liability coverage on your homeowners or renters’ insurance if it damages someone else’s car.

Your homeowners or renters’ insurance may pay to[…]


Continue to read this article.


Don’t forget, The Portier Agency offers:
homeowner/mobile home/ renter’s /automobile / motorcycle / life / commercial / crop insurance.
Call or come by to get your quote!

The Portier Agency, LLC
113 North Irwin Avenue
Ocilla, GA 31774