If you are having a bonfire, whether it’s to get rid of garden waste or part of a celebration, like Halloween, take care. Follow the simple tips below to make sure you, and others, are safe.
Building a bonfire
Fire can spread easily, so where and how you build your bonfire is important. If you have a bonfire, follow these simple guidelines:
- warn your neighbours beforehand – they are much less likely to complain
- light the bonfire at a time least likely to affect your neighbours – for example, not on a warm day when people will be in their garden
- only burn dry material not damp, which causes more smoke
- build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees
- check there are no cables, like telephone wires, above the bonfire
- don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going as it may get out of control quickly
- as a rule of thumb the bonfire should be a minimum of five times its height from property
Bonfire safety tips
Once the bonfire is lit, make sure you:
- keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby in case of emergencies
- don’t leave the bonfire unattended…
Continue reading this article for more safety tips.
Don’t forget, The Portier Agency offers homeowner/mobile home/ renter’s /automobile / motorcycle / life / commercial / crop insurance.
Call or come by to get your quote!
The Portier Agency, LLC
113 North Irwin Avenue
Ocilla, GA 31774